Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Media Strategies in Telecommuting

A friend of mine called from California to discuss his upcoming retirement from the military. He is looking to relocate back to the Colorado Springs area and was looking for any insight that I might have in how to set up his transition strategies. In other words, he was seeking my help in setting up a media strategy for marketing himself to the private sector.

I retired from the US Air Force a little more than a year ago and I recalled how many different options I had to review in what seemed like a very short period. Among the myriad of decisions were medical, dental, life insurance, survivor benefits, and a host of others too numerous to mention. One of the key decisions was what I was going to do with my life after the conclusion of a very successful career in the military. Of course, there are traditional companies to work for and I did choose to go that route for a time. But I also wanted to explore working from home. Frankly, I wanted work where I could log in from anywhere in the world to complete it and not be tied to a physical office.

I guess lots of people want to telecommute to work--to be able to set (within reason) their own hours and not have to worry about traffic, make-up, or any number of other nuisances that come with working at a traditional job. But the fact is, there are thousands of scam artists out there and the Internet seems to be their playground. Some studies have shown that when it comes to work from home scams, they out-number the real ones by 30 to 1. Certainly not good odds where I come from and probably not in your area either.

Thank goodness I found couple who specialize in reviewing, screening, and delivering real work from home jobs. It's made the searching, and the decision-making, much easier for me. When I see a job I'm interested in, I can check it out and apply directly to the company if I want. But more importantly, I rarely have to read a bunch of garbage spewed by a scam artist on a web site. And that means I can spend more time pursuing my other interests--such as developing my own Internet based businesses and my Media Strategies blog.

Make no mistake--these are real jobs with real deadlines, pay, and in many cases benefits. Some require special skills, languages, or high-speed Internet access. Nevertheless, I liked the product so much, that I became a marketing consultant for the company so I would be authorized to refer people to them (they're rather picky about who they deal with as you can well understand since they're in the business of spotting scams and filtering them out of their product.)

Anyhow, you can check out how to find real jobs on the Internet at
http://lee-reedy.com/recommends/telecommuting

Lee Reedy
Media Strategist

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home